Thursday, December 13, 2007

Snow Time to Drink

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow .....

That use to be a call to the bar. The weather people would predict snow and off I would go. Hang out at the bar and chat about if it was really going to snow, how much snow if we got it, and how late they would have to be out plowing. I did not have to worry about the plowing. At the end of my drinking the snow meant I could drink "at home". I would hit the packy and pick up some beer, and vodka. I could keep it in a snow bank when I was shoveling. Some how or another though I always ended back at the bar. I think about how trashed I would get. The hangovers. Staggering around the streets. But hey, it was snowing!! So it was all right.

Today, for a very very brief second I missed all that. All I was remembering was the laughing hanging at the bar ... And no, right now I don't miss it.

Gifts of sobriety, I knew enough to get off the damn roads. Came home, shoveled the driveway, made coffee. And now I am relaxing. I will make some Christmas cookies in a little bit, listen to some Christmas music. And I will walk up the street at 7:30 just in case they have a meeting. And I will have those laughs I was missing at the bar earlier. Tomorrow when I wake up I might be a bit sore from the shoveling, but my eyes won't feel like they are popping out of my head. Yup, gifts.

No comments: