Sunday, August 17, 2008

Grad-ah-tude

In the busy busy world that has become my life. Yah know, the one that was going to be over when I put down the drink? I try very hard to stay grateful for what I have. I don't want to lose sight, EVER of the good things in my life because I am not drinking and belong to the fellowship of AA. I hear it over and over and over at meetings how people "get busy", and eventually it leads to a drink. That scares me more than anything, because I can see just how easy it can happen.

So I have a goal that I am stealing from a friend who post. I am modifying it a bit .. I am going to try and post every day for a month. Even if it is just a one liner. And every day it will be something I am grateful for. And if all I can find for that day is I have clean socks .... I will be grateful for that.

Today I am grateful in particular for the fellowship of AA and what it has given me. I recently have had some major life on lifes terms bad mojo. AA has taught me that I did not have to drink over it first and foremost. Second, through your stories I learned that even though it all sucked, and could very well suck for a long long time, it would still be ok. You taught me to trust in my Higher Power, to acknowledge that even though this bad was going on, I was not being punished, that if I gave my trust to my God, believed that He would take care of me and get me through it, He would. As long as I did it on His terms, not mine. You taught me to accept His terms. You taught me that it was ok for me to not like it, He was not going to pull His support if I disagreed with how He wanted to do things .. but I still had to do things His way.

I was in fact all set for things to get far worse before they got any better. Well, it got much better much faster than I could have possibly imagined. Still not perfect, or even great, but better. Down the line I do believe that great will be the result of what has been going on. I know it has helped me grow. And even though it sucked, I am grateful.

No comments: