Thursday, May 24, 2007

Onnline AA

I still go to meetings, face to face, pretty much everyday. A friend once commented that it made no sense to stay home and watch a show about Survivors when he could come to a meeting and be with the real deal. I thought then, and now, that it was a very valid point. So I go to a meeting every weeknight and Sunday mornings.
But once in a while .. I just don't feel like going. But I still think it is important to be in the fellowship of AA everyday if I can. In comes AA online. www.aaonline.net to be exact. They have a topic meeting several times a day. Then open chat the rest of the time if you have something on your mind. As with all the online communities I have got involved with over the years, 90% of them are great people. A privilege to get to listen to.
The part that has amazed me, with so many AA meetings around me, are the people who are in the boonies and may have to travel an hour or more to get to the closest meeting to them. They do it. They might only get one face to face meeting a week, but it is that important to them that the do it. I have three meetings that I go to that are less than 5 minute walking. So it is not something I think all that much about. Seeing these people online has been great to know what lengths people really do go to to stay sober.

No comments: